Monday, May 30, 2011

Boston in May

At the end of March my manager talked to me and the other support member in Utah about coming out to the office in Walhman MA (about 20 minutes or so west of Boston) to meet our new team member who would start the first week of May and for some team bonding. So May 1st I was standing in downtown Boston exploring before the week of work started. I flew in the night before so I had the whole day to get to know Boston then I had before. This was my third trip to Boston. The day started our with getting in after midnight, going to my hotel and trying to sleep. After just a few hours of sleep I was ready to go! I got my rental car, a Mitsubishi Galant I headed towards the city. I was not sure how I felt about that car. It was sporty and zippy but I felt like a giant in a small call. None the less I heard towards the city from the airport. I parked and made note of where I parked in my iphone (but not a parking app like maybe I should have-you will see why later) and set off on foot!

First stop was to find a place called Sugar Heaven. Any place with that name was worth finding in my mind. This place was said to have walls of candy. So I found it's location on the map on my phone and started walking. The biggest compliant was that my map did not move to show me which way I was going. Half the time I would start walking and then look to see where the little blue ball would go and low and behold I was going to wrong way so I would turn around and go back. This would get me in turned all around but I got to see great things in the process. I loved seeing the old buildings in with the new sky scrapers. Such a cool mix of new and old.
Finally I got to Sugar Heaven an it was walls of candy! It also had a downstairs with more candy and ice cream. I got some candy (of course) and some water for my walk.



A few weeks before my trip I had decided I was going to go on a guides tour of the Freedom Trail. So I looked up a company that did those tours and decided on The Freedom Trail Foundation. The tour would leave at 11 am so I head from Sugar Heaven to Boston Commons. I passed Boston Public Garden where they have big swan boats that you can ride in.

Our tour was lead by a lady dressed in 18th century clothing. She would lead us to historic sites along half of the freedom trail and tell us the stories behind them and famous Bostonians of that time. First was all about Boston Commons. We learned about the park and all that happened there from rallies, to hangings to get togethers. We then hoped on the red trail that is painted (and sometimes done in brick) which leads the way along the Freedom Trail. We headed towards the State House. Here is where I insert the facts from cityofboston.gov and save my fingers from typing:

"Built in 1798, the "new" State House is located across from the Boston Common on the top of Beacon Hill. The land was once owned by Massachusetts first elected governor, John Hancock. Charles Bullfinch, the leading architect of the day, designed the building.

The dome, originally made out of wood shingles, is now sheathed in copper and covered by 23 karat gold which was added to prevent leaks into the State House.

In the House of Representatives chambers hangs a wooden codfish which is called the Sacred Cod. The Sacred Cod signifies the importance of the fishing industry to the Commonwealth. At the top of the golden dome sits a wooden pinecone which symbolizes logging in Boston during the 18th century."


Then it was onto the Park Street Church. Here is the historical facts:

"Park Street Church, the site of the old town granary where grain was kept before the Revolution, dates back to 1809. Its 217 foot steeple was the first landmark travelers saw when coming into Boston. Park Street Church is located at Brimstone Corner which may have received its name because preachers spoke of fire and brimstone in Hell to their congregation or because sulfur was stored in the basement of the church.

This Evangelical Church of "firsts" is the location of the first Sunday school in 1818 and the first prison aid in 1824. On July 4, 1829, William Lloyd Garrison gave his first public anti-slavery speech here and two years later, "My Country 'Tis of Thee" was sung for the first time by the church children's choir."

Our tour guide also added that at one point someone ( cannot remember who) stored a ton of jun powder in the basement. I guess everyone knew it was there and always wondered when the church would blow. It never did though.
The Granary Burying Ground was one of my favorite stops. We spent a lot of time here. Let me give you the facts and then tell you what I learned:

"Founded in 1660, the Granary is the third oldest burying ground in Boston proper. In 1737, when grain was stored where the present Park Street Church stands, the burying ground was renamed the Granary. Along with Massachussetts Governors, Clergymen, and Mayors, three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Robert Treat Paine, are buried here.

Approximately 5000 people are buried at Granary even though there are only 2300 headstones. Since funerals were expensive, there would be one headstone per family. Each grave contains at least 20 bodies."

It was amazing all the headstones here and some the engravings still so vivid after hundreds of years. We learned about the Tomb of the Innocent where hundreds if not thousands of babies and toddlers are buried. The only area on the grounds that was set apart by a church. Here single mothers and poor mothers could bury their babies who passed away. There was a monument to Benjamin Franklin and his family even though he was not laid to rest there. There were also "Table Top Graves" which when the table top was removed there would be stairs that lead to an under ground room where families would be placed. The owner of the space was required to maintain it and keep it free from water and flooding.

We say Samuel Adam's grave. We learn about the part her played in the revolution and about his friendship with Paul Revere. We also learned how the image on Samuel Adams beer but rather Paul Revere. I guess Paul Revere was more attractive then Samuel was. Next to Samuel was where the first victims of the Boston Massacre lay.

There was Paul's grave. This is his headstone but he also had a monument build for him next to it. We learned that along with the metal work he did he was a dentist and would keep very detailed records on his patients. So details that he would help ID people by their teeth after different battles that would happen.
Robert Treat Paine a signer of the Declaration of Independence has a wall tomb here.

There was John Hancock's grave. We learned that his grave was robbed many time in the first little after he died. They are not sure how much of John was there. We leaned that his parents died when he was young and his Aunt and Uncle raised him and while they loved him very much they did not know how to show it. They thought that if they gave him all he wanted and needed (they were wealthy) that would do it. John spent his life looking for love and how to show it.
Next stop was the Old Corner Bookstore. "Many famous books were published here, including The Scarlet Letter, Walden, and the Atlantic Monthly magazine.

The Bookstore was built in 1712 as an apothecary shop, office and home of Thomas Crease. The outspoken Anne Hutchinson, who was exiled from the Bay State, owned the store before it was given to Timothy Harrington who turned it into a bookstore.

The Old Corner Bookstore is one of Boston's oldest surviving structures. Today, the building is occupied by a jewelry store."

Louisa May Alcott sent Little Women here but the owner send it back with some money telling her to get writing lessons. She sent it back once her book was published else where. Showed him!


We weved through the city still on the red trail and came to the Old State House. Here are the facts!
"Also known as Boston's "Towne House", the Old State House dates back to 1713. This Georgian style structure was occupied by the British during the Revolution and was a continuous reminder to the settlers of British dominance and presence in the colony.

The Old State House was the center of all political life and debate in colonial Boston. On July 18, 1776, citizens gathered in the street to hear the Declaration of Independence read from the building's balcony, the first public reading in Massachusetts. The Royal Governor presided here until the new State House was built on Beacon Hill in 1798.

Today, the building is run by The Bostonian Society as a Boston history museum."

What I loved is that it was on my birthday (a long time ago) that the people of Boston first head the Declaration of Independence here.




Our tour ended at Fanueil Hall, which I did not take a picture of this time.

"Faneuil Hall has served as a marketplace and a meeting hall since 1742. Funding was provided by a wealthy merchant, Peter Faneuil, for the construction and local artisan to create the grasshopper weather vane that still perches on the building's cupola. Inspirational speeches by Samuel Adams and other patriots were given at Faneuil Hall. These oratories became the footstool for America's desire to obtain independence from the British.

Faneuil Hall was expanded in 1806 by Charles Bulfinch. When Boston became a city the use of Faneuil Hall as a government meeting place came to an end, but it was still regularly used. Today, the first floor is still used as a lively marketplace and the second floor is a meeting hall where many Boston City debates are held. The fourth floor is maintained by the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company.

I would recommend a guided tour here anytime. It was cheap and so much fun! I had lunch at the Black Rose right near Faneuil Hall. It was a highly recommended Irish Pub. After lunch it was off to my favorite bakery, Mike's Pastry (for the first time that week). The line was out the door but fast! Got some yummy cookies and cannoli. Their lobster tails are a must! So yummy with all that cream filling!


Not to far from Mike's is Paul Reveres house. I paid a few bucks to walk through it and see how his family lived. It's bigger than it looks from the outside.


The streets around Paul's house are cobble stone and narrow! I wonder how some of these cars get through. The North End has so much personality and great places to eat and explore.

So by this time it was about 4ish and I decided to get back to my car and head to dinner. So I followed the red freedom trail back to Boston Commons and then started to look for my car. I knew what street it was on but remember how I said the map I was using sucked? Ya I probably walked blocks around the area until I found it all the while chatting with my parents. I called to tell them about my adventures and then they decided they were going to stay with me until I found my car. I laughed and reminded them that I was almost 29 years old and have walked around places on my own before but welcomes the "company" while I walked. I have since found a much better map app that moves with you and also some great parking apps that would have come in handy. Oh well got some great exercise! I decided to turn my car in for something else as I really did not like the fit, so I went back near the airport and got a Madza 6 which was better. After that I went to have dinner at the Summer Shack and then stopped of at Trader Joe's for form Aloe (everywhere my sweatshirt was not got burned that day) and treats and snacks for the week.

Monday started the work week. It was great to be in the office seeing people I talk to on the phone or see over video all the time. We had some great team dinners and I also have more time to have adventures of my own. One night I went back into Boston with a co-worker and went to Daily Catch for some black pasta. It's colored with squid ink but tastes just like any other pasta!
Thursday night we celebrated Cinco De Mayo at local Waltham restaurant. I love all the homes in the Boston area. They have such personality and charm.
Friday after a half day at work I headed to the airport and then home. I was met at baggage by my family. Ethan ran up to me with a big hug and Annie gave me a drawing. I would Skype with them each night but it was great to see them and give them hugs. Love to travel but love to be home too!

No comments: