Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Little Piece of Encinitas

Tuesday Meme and I were driving around exploring and we ended up in Springville, Utah which is about 25/30 minutes south of Lindon. We were up on Canyon Road and saw a sign for a local greenhouse that sold Poinsettias. Since I had not gotten one for the house yet I decided we needed to check this place out. I walked into a sea of red-it was so cool. After ringing the bell up front a man came to help me. While showing me the different poinsettias I told him about my hometown of Encinitas, the flower growing capital of the world. I asked him if he had heard of Paul Ecke Farms (a large Poinsettia farm which had been there since the early 1900's) . When I worked for the YMCA they would donate Poinsettias and staff would often get to take them home. I missed that. He said that not only had he heard of them but that is what they sell!!! Every summer Paul Ecke Farms sends them cuttings and that my Poinsetta came right from Encinitas! I was so excited and happy to have a little piece of home here in Utah. I will be going to that greenhouse every year!

2 comments:

Scott and Stacia said...

That is so crazy! And to think that if you never said anything, you would have never known! How fun is that fact!!!

Anonymous said...

Didn't I tell you that Stacia would get excited over this???? I'm just too good, I guess...oh well....